A Web Based Scalable and Responsive Fitness Analytics Application
A robust and novel fitness tracking platform for athletes and coaches revitalized the client's overall customer experience and increased long-term brand loyalty
- A startup ISV in fitness and wellness domain
- Providing technology based analytics solutions for athletes and gyms to optimize their workout training
- The technology stack of the application was not scalable to meet future needs. It also suffered from high latency and UI-UX issues such as lack of intuitive navigation, RWD compliance etc.
- Application to be made scalable amidst unstructured data for over 9 workout types along with reduced latency
- A functionality to add affiliated gyms was needed
- Develop a user centered design with the ability to display key metrics in a visually appealing format irrespective of screen size
- Provide real-time generation of workout summary for users
- Social media integration was essential
- Enable users to access application via kiosks
After due-diligence Harbinger proposed the redevelopment of the entire application to ensure a robust, flexible and scalable system.
- MongoDB was used to store and accommodate different workout types and their associated unstructured data
- Implemented a user management system in rails and combined it with an access management system for seamless on-boarding process of gym affiliates.
- Utilized wireframes approach to design layout and optimize placements of components followed by validation from actual users ie. Coach and athletes.
- Built the application in responsive manner and utilized a third party jQuery plugin to construct graphs and charts to present statistical data to the users
- Integrated open source plug-in for calendar view and grid view with search functionality
- Implemented an in-house built plugin using jQuery that reciprocates user interactions with the HTML form and converts that data into textual workout summary
- Integrated 3rd party application Disqus, a social commenting system with single sign on feature and Olark, a live chat support system for users to interact and collaborate their experiences and results
- Managing user session & ownership of data for individual athletes to access and punch in details through kiosks
Technologies & Tools
- Ruby On Rails 3.2
- jQuery 3.1
- Robust and Scalable architecture enabled easy future enhancements like adding more workout types. Platform can easily scale up in additional ‘000s user load of end-user and ensuring high throughput amidst concurrent users.
- Effortless on-boarding process for gym affiliates resulted in increased web traffic conversions, thereby increased user base.
- Application provides a seamless experience over web, mobile and kiosk resulting in wider accessibility and savings for the client.
- Enhanced user experience and ease of operations with:
- Improved visualization of workout performance
- Simplified process for logging in workout summary details and maintaining a consistent format
- Reduced customer service response time and enabling users to collaborate with each other